Hot oil treatment for 4c hair
As a fellow 4c hair babe, you know as well as I that maintaining moisture and preventing breakage is a constant challenge.
Between finding a good protective hairstyle and utilizing the right natural hair products, you are also constantly looking for a new treatment that will improve your natural hair care regimen.
Well, I got one of those for you today – hot oil treatments for natural 4c hair.
Because a hot oil hair treatment can be a great way to give your hair the extra care it needs to stay healthy and strong. So I figured in this article, I’ll share what a hot oil treatment is, how to do one, and the benefits it can bring to your natural 4c hair.
What is a Hot oil treatment?
A hot oil treatment is a simple process that involves applying warm oil to your hair and scalp. Thanks to the heat, the oil penetrates deep into your hair shaft, moisturizing and nourishing your hair from the inside out.
You can do hot oil treatments with many different oils, but some popular choices for natural 4c hair include coconut oil, olive oil, jojoba oil, and castor oil. The treatments are especially popular for women with dry and brittle hair, as they help protect, nourish, and strengthen your hair.
What are the benefits of hot oil treatment on 4c hair?
There are several benefits of a hot oil treatment for 4c hair.
1. Deep moisturization
As you know, kinky hair is prone to dryness and brittleness due to the tight coils. Well, hot oil treatments can help infuse moisture into your hair strands, which will leave your hair feeling soft, hydrated, and more manageable.
Especially, if you add a very moisture-rich oil such as coconut oil to your 4c hair care routine.
2. Promotes hair growth
The next reason, to start incorporating hot oil treatments into your natural hair regimen, is because they promote healthier hair which leads to more length retention, which results in hair growth.
Oils such as castor oil, when applied to the scalp help stimulate your hair follicles, encouraging healthy hair growth.
3. Strengthens hair
Another benefit of hot oil treatments is that it helps with moisture retention, which reduces breakage and improves overall hair health. Thanks to the nutrients in oils such as avocado oil, each hair follicle become stronger and shinier after the treatment.
4. Reduces Dandruff
Moreover, hot oil treatments help soothe an itchy and dry scalp, which is often the cause of dandruff.
Most hair oils include moisturizing and nourishing properties that improve your skin condition and help with irritation and flakiness. A good hot oil treatment works wonders on your scalp.
5. Enhances Shine
If you tend to have frizzy hair, then the natural oils used in hot oil treatments can help to add shine to your 4c hair. Oils like argan oil provide a healthy and radiant appearance. The softening qualities in the oil help soften and smooth your hair, making it shinier.
6. Increased blood flow
Lastly, hot oil treatments are great for your blood circulation. Turns out the temperature of the oil helps to stimulate blood flow in your scalp, resulting in more hair growth. And for even better results, make sure to give your head a good scalp massage with the treatment.
Overall, hot oil treatments are a great way to pamper and nourish your natural hair.
How often should you do a hot oil treatment on 4c hair?
The frequency of hot oil treatments on 4c hair varies depending on your hair needs and preferences. In general, I would recommend doing a hot oil treatment once a month.
I usually do it on wash days when I use a deep conditioner or hair mask. However, if you have color-treated hair, suffer from split ends, or experience hair loss, then you may benefit from more frequent hot oil treatments.
But if your hair is already well-hydrated and healthy, you may not need to do them as often. Pay attention to how your hair responds to the treatment and adjust accordingly.
Do you wash your hair before or after a hot oil treatment?
I recommend that you wash your 4c hair before doing a hot oil treatment. Simply because your want to do it on clean hair. The shampoo will remove any product buildup or dirt from your scalp and hair, allowing the oil to penetrate more effectively.
Moreover, washing your 4c hair before a hot oil treatment will help open up the hair cuticles, which allows the oil to be absorbed. After the hot oil treatment, you can then rinse your hair with lukewarm water and proceed with your deep conditioning routine.
However, note that a hot oil treatment can also be done as a pre-shampoo treatment, rather than a pre-deep conditioning step.
What oils to use for a hot oil treatment?
There are many different oils that can be used for a hot oil treatment. But the best oil to use for a hot oil treatment will depend on your hair’s needs and your personal preferences. Here are some popular oils to consider:
- Coconut oil is known to be the best oil to use for a hot oil treatment across the board. It is a great oil for treating dry or damaged hair and helps if you are experiencing protein loss.
- Jamaican black castor oil is a good choice if your goal is to grow your 4c hair. It increases blood flow and provides keratin to your hair, which leads to stranger hair strands.
- Extra virgin olive oil makes for a good hot oil treatment if you have sensitive skin or an itchy scalp. The oil doesn’t just soothe your skin but also contains many fatty acids and vitamins that protect your hair and scalp.
While these are three oils I have used before, there are many more. You will find a list of the 10 best oils for 4c hair in this post.
How to do a hot oil treatment on 4c hair?
Now that you understand the benefits of hot oil treatments, it’s time to talk about how to do them. Here is a step-by-step guide on how to do a hot oil treatment on your natural 4c hair:
- Start by choosing the oil you want to use. Select an oil that is beneficial for your hair, by considering what it needs most as well as what you want to achieve from the treatment. If you’re looking for extra hydration, coconut oil is a great choice. If you’re looking to promote hair growth, castor oil is an excellent option.
- Next, place the oil in a heat-safe bowl and heat it in the microwave for about 30 seconds or until warm. Alternatively, you can also warm the oil by placing the small bowl in a larger bowl of hot water. Once the oil is warm pour it into an applicator bottle for the next step.
- In order to apply the oil evenly, section your natural hair into 4-6 sections. Once parted, apply the warm oil to each section. Take a few seconds to massage the oil into your scalp before working it through your hair and focusing on the ends.
- Next, cover your hair with a shower cap or a plastic cap l to lock in the heat and help the oil penetrate your hair. For best results, consider using a hooded dryer or warm towel to create an even warmer environment.
- Now leave the oil on your hair for 30 minutes to an hour to allow it to moisturize your hair properly. If you have very dry hair, you can also leave it in overnight for extra hydration.
- Lastly, rinse the oil out of your 4c hair with warm water. If done as a pre-poo oil treatment, then continue by shampooing your hair. If done after shampoo-washing your hair, then apply your deep conditioner next to finish your natural hair routine.
That’s pretty much it. 6 simple steps to doing a hot oil treatment on 4c hair. Of course, make sure to patch-test any new oil on your skin first to avoid the risk of a reaction.